My mom and dad retired to Florida in 1971, which was the year that I graduated from high school. On the same day that I left for college; Mom and Dad left to Florida in search of the first page in the next chapter of their lives.
One moment I was a kid and they were watching out for me and they were in charge then the next thing you know they had packed a moving van and I packed my car and we were about to both head in different directions. It was a poignant moment in my life that I will never forget.
Even now as I write this I can still seethe shady driveway, smell the green grass and pachysandra, and feel the spotty sun struggling to get through the tall trees that surrounded our small brick home in New Jersey. I had never even visited Florida, and this was where my parents were moving to? Why? Why Florida? Dad worked hard his entire life and then when he retired he worked hard at that too. By all measures he was as successful retiree. He never ran out of money or things to do. He and Mom traveled, fished, made lots of friends, and spent 25 years in healthy retirement. They chose Florida and never regretted their decision.
Reason to retire to Florida:
- Income Tax – Florida has no State income Tax
- Fishing – You can fish 12 months out of the year here in Florida
- Affordability – From housing to clothes
- Weather – We are the SUNSHINE STATE
- The Water
- The People – A lot like you
- The Visitors – Everyone will come visit you from the North
- Golf – Florida has more Golf courses per person than anywhere else in the world
- The attractions – You will feel like you are always on vacation
- Schools – It’s always a good idea to retire where there are universities.
- Healthcare – the rest of the world come to Florida for their care